View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post

I've seen a dog who had a car door closed on its tail after it had scarred-over and "healed" crooked and can only imagine what pain that dog had after that compound fracture. I don't know if it was EVER treated at the time and don't know how many tail injuries are even treated at home, let alone taken to vets for treatment. As a child I saw a dog with a fresh tail injury in my neighborhood and the image of that miserable dog biting at his bloody tail sticks with me to this day. I promise you he didn't settle to sleep within 3 minutes! I've seen long-tailed, long-haired dogs surrendered/found with masses of feces, leaves, grass, etc., hanging from their matted long tail hairs with large chunks right up against their rectums! I'll take 30 seconds to 3 minutes of whatever sensation of pain they might feel as a neonate any day to prevent those horrors.
What I don't get about this mindset is... if tails were such a HUGE problem in general, why don't we cut ALL dogs tails off? It just doesn't make sense. Golden Retrievers have long fluffy tails that often get poop/debris/etc stuck in them, so let's just start cutting off their tails...

Legs and toes can be broken off too. But you don't see people cutting a dogs leg off because he keeps hurting it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!