View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
I do not like tail docking but until the standard is changed or it's outlawed it's still got to be done because reputable breeders have to breed to the standard otherwise there not reputable. In my opinion.
This mindset amuses me. We humans created this standard. It's not like God told us "x, y, and z breed MUST have tails cut off! Or else!!"

So if a breeder does everything right, and exactly the same as a responsible breeder who docks tails, but they decide to leave tails -- suddenly they're irresponsible? Why? Simply because they don't cut off a piece of their puppy's body part?

I actually know a few Yorkies and Silky's whose breeders in the US leave tails and their dogs have been performing very successfully in the ring. Is it the norm? No, not yet, but doesn't mean they can't try or still win in show rings.

Tails used to be docked for a reason -- working dogs. Well, and they were also more aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. I'm the first to admit, I think a cropped and docked Doberman is gorgeous and very striking creature. I don't so much like the looks of a 'all natural' Doberman. But it's the reason I'll likely never own one. I couldn't do with cropping ears, I would feel so cruel.

I think banning tail docking may be too extreme - as I do think it's a relatively small issue in the dog world and it can get iffy when govt. starts getting involved in our dog ownership and what we can/cannot do with our animals. But it's not something I prefer. And it's likely the reason I will never own another Yorkie or Silky unless I can find a breeder I like who leaves tails. I was lucky enough to be ignorant when getting Jackson and had no idea tails were even supposed to be docked so ended up with a full-tailed boy. His tail has never ever been an issue, and yes he's bigger at 18lbs, but his tail is very thin under hair.

Last edited by Britster; 10-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!