View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post

This issue is always hotly debated each time it comes up and each person so far is still able to decide which is the worst - a short time of suspect pain as a neonate vs. the troubles a long, hair, thin, hairy, unclean tail can cause during the life of the Yorkies of America.

Thanks for replying with your take on things!

However, contrary to not acknowledging the potential issues trauma to an intact tail may present, the above link actually addresses this with statistics with regards to the incidence of injury which is often used to argue the "benefit" of tail docking. The incidence ratio is very low so doesn't, to my mind, justify the procedure on a global scale. Apparently, vets agree with this stance and I found that refreshing as I had never really looked into the debate in any great depth before today. I just knew that I always felt it was wrong.

The justification that a tail trauma is horrifying, although true, is weak to me simply because we don't amputate our feet (or our dogs) in the event trauma MAY occur and broken limbs are no less traumatic.

You're right, though. This topic is always debated and it is my hope that an eventual ban will outlaw the procedure in the best interest of all dog breeds.

Last edited by SirTeddykins; 10-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!