View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Default Tail Docking - Yes or No

I read an interesting thread on this forum which made passing reference to tail docking.

What I'd like to know is, apart from because some "standard" dictates it, is there any good reason for tail docking?

I am from the States and it is the norm to dock tails of certain breeds, including the YT, I know. However, having removed myself from where it is normative to where it is not (namely, England), I have a revised perspective.

I feel tail docking is unnecessary and, therefore, cruel. Yes, I understand that the argument is that before so many days of life the nerve endings aren't fully developed in the pup and, thus, the docking isn't "painful". I would disagree with this, however, just as I would disagree with the perception that babies do not feel pain just because they may not be able to express it consciously later in life..

However, the argument is that past these first few days the docking of the tail would be considered major surgery.

So, why put the puppies through it at all? As I said, I'm not interested in aesthetics or rules which state "standard". That argument, to me, is like saying..."female circumcision in Africa is the norm so it's okay.."

Well, to me, it's not okay to remove body parts to make an animal more pleasing to the eye.

So, I confess that I may be ignorant to any health benefits of docking the tail so ask that someone please educate me? Or, if the general consensus is that docking is done just because it always has been for conformity, then at least I'll know that what I suspect is correct which is that, sadly, no one is standing up to challenge this standard in the interest of the dogs. In time, though, I think that will change.

Thoughts?
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!