View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
Yeah he's saying that, but he is not basing it on anything other than his observations as a general veterinarian and perhaps on information he received from the book that he cited written by Dan who worked for Iams for 20 years as a director of technical communications which he references in the article. Neither of these veterinarians have advanced training in nutrition as in masters or doctorates nor are they diplomats of the ACVN. That's not to say that their observations and practice don't qualify them to assess the overall condition of the dog but I think it goes too far to make generalizations about amounts of protein and fat on that basis for ALL dogs. I also think that reading ingredients on the bag does not speak to the quality of said ingredients. Still, I'll agree that the best way to judge whether a dog is doing well on a food is to assess the dog in various ways with your veterinarian (eyes/coat/skin and labs). And yes, he is at least a vet and not a dentist. He can be somewhat held accountable for his recommendations to his clients which is more than some can say.
Yes, I do believe that clinical observations can be a very valid way of gathering information. Not sure if anyone is testing "optimal" levels of protein for dogs, usually dog food companies, have no motivation to do that type of testing. There is some that type of testing that going on in the field of human nutrition. I still think it's important to read the ingredients, and I think you can gather some information about quality. Of course, manufacturers can deceive us, I've read more than once about moldy corn being added to food.

Join today and remove this ad!