View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #118
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Charm View Post
Gail, I have so been enjoying Dara's story and cheer with you for every success since I am trying to wrap my head around the show scene (for my one day...) it also helps me make sense of alot of concepts I am working on grasping (language, titles, points). This is such a fun thread to follow, thank you.

Your welcome Alyssa. In the show forum, I think I posted a thread something like an Orientation to the Show world for the new person. This might help. AKC also has some orientation to the Show world for new Exhibitors -replete with flow diagrams et al.

The point system is relatively simple: First to get a championship your dog must earn 15 points, and with in the points earned have at least 2 Majors from two different judges. A major is calculated per district based on the number of class dogs entered. There are 3 or 4 or 5 point majors dependent upon the number of dogs you beat. Points are usually only earned towards your Championship if you win Winners Bitch and or Winners Dog, dependent upon the sex of the dog you enter.

You can't earn any points if for example you are the only dog that was entered in the breed you show. You must beat some competition to earn any points.

What I share here for those that care to read, is the behind the scenes work, trials and tribulations of this show breeder. My journey is just my journey that in some or in a lot might mirror other show breeders.

So I am trying to organize Dara getting some health checks, but the opthamologist is only there on Sat from 9am to 2 30 and with a National Specialty we might not finish - dependent upon when we start until 2pm or so. cutting it tight to run her over for an eye exam. Based on prelim very tentative entry numbers we have over 50 dogs entered for the National. That means at least 2 hours maybe 3 hrs to judge all those dogs and get to BOB. So when we start the National won't be known until at least Oct 29th. I also want to arrange a cardio test. Again same issue - they are only there on Saturday which is our National Day. So there is much planning, forethought that goes into it all

Btw those two tests if I am able to do will be $270 US plus I will do the new brand new genetic test for JLPP which is $65 So we are at $335 - and I did another genetic test for $80 so now $415. I have ED HD thyroid and BAER left to do. So you can see how the tests add up for one individual dog.

To register Dara in the CKC and AKC will be $100 each registry.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!