View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Dog clothes and long coats: the cold hard truth

Okay, I just have to have it laid on the line for me... Can my dog wear clothes and grow out her coat or am I living in a fantasy world?

Lilah is almost two and we have grown her coat approx half out a couple few times then I messed up our great progress with tangles and shaved it off and started again. I love grooming- much more than lilah does- but have a lot of skills to learn , technique to master and consistency to practice. That said, the goal is to master the skills required to keep my girl in a full proper coat and to practice doing wraps and flat irons and all that jazz. I hear stories about these coats that don't tangle and that is definitely not my gal but her coat parts and lays flat on the back nicely and she has grown out a lengthy strong top knot so I think the opportunity for a nice long coat is there- if I do my part in meticulous care and grooming (still working on being good at that as stated above).

All that said, I sure enjoy dressing my little gal up! I mean my goodness what a cutie! And the real conundrum comes as the cold weather is setting in- okay okay, turn up the heater but that gets expensive and my general statement is put on a sweater! But for lilah it really tangles up her hair. One day- just during the day mind you- and it's side/belly tangles like crazy. I like to indulge and turn up the heat and I will if that's what's necessary to keep my four pound single coated love bug acting like a normal dog instead if a blanket warmer (and I will do a secret happy dance and take my sweater off-unti the bill comes) but I thought I would fish for some feedback here first.

I have purchased and sewn some silk and satin clothing for her and that helps but it's not a fix all and she has a lot of non silk satin clothes that I really like. Plus im a knitter and I love to knit her sweaters but that seems like the ultimate coat tangler! I have considered knitting with silk yarn but the way the stitch comes together when you knit an item (your basicly tying little knots wth two sticks) I wonder if that would even do any good? Anyone tried that?

Okay, I know this post is getting lengthy- if you got through it, thank you. Lookin forward to any replies
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!