View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #34
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Nature vs Nurture | Dogs Naturally Magazine

I have posted the above as it seems relevant to the OP original thread. I have not read everything yet in these postings, but I do have some things to say on this topic.

I find the above article postulates a rather risky and dangerous viewpoint. Anedoctal stories used to foster a point of view, is so far from science based approach it is laughable, most especially as the above author was self-reportedly a medical doctor. Who should be well versed in a rational and understand a science based approach.

I am for complimentary and alternative medical approaches where they make sense, and could buttress or support an allopathic medical/surgical regime. And when medical western science quite simply has no answers that have worked for that individual patient.

Like it or not Pavro and Distemper need to be inoculated against - using the best window timeframe we can fathom - again based on research that is making these vaccinations and timing, clearer and clearer. Rabies exists unfortunately in North America, but not as far as I am aware to any large extent in domestic dogs n cats. But it is quite alive n well in bats, in raccoons, coyotes, that even in a urban environment we share our space with. Which means there is a real risk of bites, etc to our domestic animals.

The law in many States and Provinces is so far behind the best research and practices that AAHA for example puts out, that law-abiding citizens must in some cases inoculate against Rabies when studies have clearly shown there is a minimum effectiveness of an inoculated dog for at least 5 yrs if not 7 years and if not for their lifetime! And for those States and Provinces that allow the citizen to titer their dog instead of inoculate again and again, for this priviledge we pay anywhere from 5 to 7 times the cost of a Rabies Vaccine.

Un-fortunately for the pet owner to be educated and pro-active takes some effort, most especially with vets, who maybe so way behind the times, you have to be very clear on your wants and needs for your pet.

Do *naturally* reared puppies turn out healthier? I have no idea, there is absolutely no peer reviewed research I can access on this topic.

Last edited by gemy; 10-24-2014 at 11:27 AM.
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!