View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyJoy View Post
That I am. I just graduated college so once I get enough money for my own place, I will be moving out. I know you'll probably say for me to just wait but I would rather not. As for them playing together, I'm not going to just give them a ball and let them go at it. I'm going to have a playpen for the Yorkie to be in until he's older and the dogs get used to the situation. I know they will never be able to fully play with each other like dogs of their same sizes, but that doesn't mean they won't get along and that my Yorkie won't be safe

No it doesn't at all! And I don't want to stomp on your excitement and anticipation of finding that perfect Yorkie to share your life with. But just to share my concerns, and for you to recognize that not everything always turns out with a Pollyanna ending.

I will share a bit more about one of my stories. As a large dog breeder, I also own a Yorkie, who has been exposed to BRT puppies for most of his life. Currently I have a BRT puppy at about 11months old now. She is not allowed out in the backyard alone with my Yorkie. In the early days of puppyhood she was brought out on lead into the backyard, and Razzle was allowed out at the same time. From the time she was 7wks old she was corrected each time she went to mouth Razzle, and even as a young puppy her mouth could almost fit around his torso, and would fit over his head. She is much more prey driven than my senior male and will always be. It is my job to teach her that Razzle is not prey, but he moves and is about the same size as a squirrel and she just adores chasing squirrels. Today at 11 months old she is still being corrected for this!
They get excited and she is still a puppy and she forgets in the excitement of the moment.

Razzle as I said is crated at night - if we feed them bones, they are all in their crates for this most special of special treats.

Even walking the two is a risk - by that I mean one large and one small dog. And yes my large dogs will protect at all costs their pack - and that means Razzle, but situations can escalate at the drop of a hat. How do you as the owner, try to stop a dog fight and keep your wee one safe, who is doing their best to join into the fray?

I offer my experience as a large dog owner who has kept a Yorkie safe and happy for over 6years.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!