View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyJoy View Post
So I found a breeder, but unfortunately she won't give me a Yorkie because we have a German Shepherd at home? I understand her decision, but the Yorkie will be in my room (attic) and supervised at all times. Besides TJ is a lapdog trapped in a Shepherd body.

Do you think this will be an issue for all breeders I contact? I really just want my Yorkie, but things seem to be going against me :/

Help?

Well let me say this, I would not place any Yorkie into a home that had no opportunity of going outside and enjoying the great wide world. Surely you didn't mean you would keep the Yorkie in your room at all times?

For the Shepherd, it would depend for me on how well trained they are, and how prey driven your particular Shepherd is. Does your Shepherd for example heel on command, STOP when you say STOP, no lunging, no jumping on folks, will down stay and or Sit Stay. How well exercised is this Shepherd. They do need lots of exercise each and every day.

It is a greater responsibility to bring a Yorkie of any age into a home with a large dog present. It requires a knowledgeable owner and one commited to understanding how to keep every-one not only safe, but happy and well exercised and trained.

My Yorkie lives with 2 large breed dogs - he and they are continually obedience trained, and yet I always exercise caution. There is no playing out in the backyard with my puppy BRT, only my senior male who is not prey driven, has no interest in Yorkie antics, and will stop on my command on a dime. My Yorkie sleeps in his crate at night, when my guard dogs are out and about in our home.

Think seriously about this and if you are up to challenge. If you are, you should be able to convince a reputable breeder to place a puppy with you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!