View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex318 View Post
Rexie is about 5 years old and because I don't know his history, I don't know if he was attacked by another dog or just has a ton of attitude. Either way, we need to take care of the aggressive behavior toward other dogs. He sees another dog and just flips out. He starts to pull and bark like a little wild man. If I try to pick him up, he squirms and wiggles to get out of my arms while continuing to melt down.

I keep him on a short leash and make him walk right beside me. When he starts acting up, I always correct him in a stern voice but I don't think he can even hear me because he's out of control.

Should I start with an obedience class? I'm almost we'd get expelled before the end of the first class. I can't imagine him being able to be in a room full of other dogs without losing his mind.

I would contact a trainer and tell them the situation. I signed my puppy up for classes and was concerned because she would go crazy when on a leash around other dogs. The trainer had me bring Lexi to her house to evaluate her around her 5 (large) dogs to see how she did. Surprisingly, she did great. Turns out she went crazy because I was holding her back from playing with other dogs. Off leash and free to play, she was fine. If the trainer thinks a group class would not be a good idea, you may want to think about private training to deal with his specific problems.
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!