View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Thanks for all the good info, Nancy. Other comments online seemed to think the odor would linger for weeks and months - I felt doomed! But after reading your comments, I feel hopeful it will eventually go away. It shocked me when it still smelled so strong this morning after having the windows closed up tightly overnight with two pens of baking soda in it. But just now I went out to spray Febreze on the carpeting and was shocked how much the odor was improved! I sprayed the Febreze and left the windows cracked at the top.

Could I ask another question: Should I let my neighbor use the carpet cleaner/deodorizer he'll be bringing and shampoo it and then dry it - doesn't sound like the shampoo part would be advisable, in your thinking, unless maybe it's dry shampoo?

It was apple cider and I'm assuming it had some type of organic matter in it and the shampoo might clean that out but if that involves applying water, too, I just don't know for sure. What do you think?
Vinegar has a strong smell as long as it's wet, so spraying anything thing that would make it stay wet longer is not the best thing to do. Scented products help temporarily, but it might be best if they are sprayed in another area, not on top of the vinegar, I promise, the smell will disappear once it's really dry. White vinegar is basically the same as apple cider and they recommend it's use for cleaning because it's clear, while the apple cider has a slight color to it, but the results should be the same. If you neighbor has a water extractor, or you have something you could blot the vinegar up with, that too would help, because it would dry faster. Shampoo would probably dilute vinegar odor, but it wouldn't hurt as long as you have something to pick up the excess moisture with. You might need something to pick up any residue left over from the apple cider vinegar.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 10-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!