View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Rhiannon224
Yorkie Yakker

Talking Jeter's potty training success!

My little Jeter turned 3 mos old yesterday , it's been exactly two weeks since I brought him home and he is the smartest puppy ever! . He is already about 90% housebroken already! When he is awake we take him out every 45 min to an hour unless he has been drinking water then we take him out roughly 15 min after he has water. I place him in a patch of grass in front of the front door and tell him to go potty and he pees almost immediately.

My 8 year old, DaVinci, is 100% pad trained and only goes out for exercise and to socialize but he might go while outside. The breeder told me she'd started potty training Jeter a few weeks prior to me taking him home, I watched him go to the sliding glass door to go out before taking him to his new home and thought that was pretty good for an 11 week old puppy. Since he hasn't had all of his shots yet I didn't want to take him outside yet because I live in a condo and don't have a private area for him outside and most of my neighbors have dogs. Fortunately everyone picks up after their dogs so there isn't any poo from others in the grass.

I tried to get Jeter to go on the pee pads but he wasn't having it so I decided that he will go outside after carefully inspecting outside to be sure there isn't any poo from other dogs in the area I take him to do his business. He wasn't leash trained so for the first few days I would just put him in the grass and he would go. It took 2 days to leash train him and he no longer fears the leash.

A few nights ago it had rained a lot and on our walk we encountered tiny little frogs jumping out of the grass in my puppy's face while trying to sniff out a spot to go. I freaked and picked him up and brought him inside immediately, I would rather clean pee off the tile floor than he get really sick and possibly die from swallowing a baby frog, in Florida we have poisonous frogs, snails, and slugs, eww. There were a few times he had gone on the pee pads because he loves to do everything he sees his big brother do so I decided to put down a lot more pee pads throughout my apartment in all the places he's had accidents inside.

Now, every time he pees or poops outside he gets a treat and praise, the few times mom or I saw him pee on the pads we do the same, it's really cute because he looks at us as he goes knowing a treat will follow. As soon as I added more pee pads inside he went over to the pad all by himself, no command to go potty, and peed, we gave him treats and praise. Because of the rain and it was nighttime and dark I was not taking him outside in the dark because he has to put everything in his mouth. I guess he just didn't want to pee on the same pad his big brother is using.

He is now pooping and peeing on the pads, he sleeps in bed with me since day one and gets up during the night and goes on the pads. He's had very few accidents in the house in the past four days since using the pads! We still take him out for walks during the day but once it gets dark no more outside.

He already knows the command no, he stops whatever he is doing as soon as I say no or Jeter no. He also knows sit, stay, and stop! We are working on come and lay down. Sorry for such a long post, I am just so proud of him and his learning so much in so little time. At this rate he will be completely housebroken in no time ! I am one proud momma!
Rhiannon224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!