View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

[QUOTE=matese;4493363]NO, he keeps lunging at the dog he is being trained with, that's why he's in obedience training, to stop or get the lunging under control. These are one hour sessions, as we all know that is to long for terrier's, they loose interest. His interest is in getting to the other dog, I think he is frustrated because he is so close to another dog, yet not allowed to meet. The trainer thinks diff. I am no trainer of aggressive behavior, I consider what she says. I will be taking him to pet supply stores, stand outside where he can see dogs trickle in and out and work in short time spans. It was the shaking off term that threw me off. Well I now have some knowledge and can start the practice on short periods at the pet stores. As always your advise / suggestions is always appreciated and used / tried. Thank you

NO she was NOT joking, She was more like insulted that my boy would DARE dis her like that lol. I never heard of a dog shaking you off, but these lil terriers with their "attitude" I wouldn't be a bit surprised lol.QUOTE]

One hour! That's an eternity for a dog training session! My lord, what does this trainer expect of dogs? 3 -5 minutes 3 times a day is the best way to get started teaching a dog to control his impulses and look to you for direction. Once you have control of your dog, then you can take him out for very short, frequent socialization sessions but an hour sounds grueling for your little guy.

Your dog trainer doesn't sound as if she's very dog savvy. And tell her he's not dissing her - dogs shake after getting down off the grooming table, the vet's exam table, out of a car or out of their beds, too. Body shaking occurs for various reasons but in a stressful situation, is considered displacement behavior - something they do to displace their insecurity or not knowing what else to do in the current environment they are in, showing they are not all that happy. It is NOt a sign of disrespect, though I doubt Cody has much respect for anyone that doesn't know much about natural dog behavior. Ask her to look up "dog displacement behavior" on Google.

Doggone Safe - Signs of Anxiety

http://www.eastbayspca.org/document.doc?id=348

Displacement behaviour | Kaye's Dog Training Courses
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!