View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
JaneGaelR
Yorkie Talker

Talking Just Rescued a Senior, so I Joined for Advice

I've been rescuing dogs since I could walk. My mother said I was about five when I dragged home my first rescue. I've had so many dogs come through my house, both to stay and to be adopted out, that I long ago lost track of the numbers. But until last night I never ever had a dog who weighs only 5 pounds! Yikes!!

My little Widget is a Yorkie/Tzu and was born here from a Tzu I rescued from a puppy mill. She's 14 pounds and is the smallest dog I've ever had. Most of my guys were in the 50 - 100 pound range, with my "little one" a 35 pound pit bull. In the last year and a half I've lost my three big dogs to various illnesses and Widget was so sad as she's never been alone. I thought maybe I'd get her a kitten as she always begs for one at adoption events. Then I saw at Annie and Toto at the shelter - two bonded seniors, terrified with little chance of adoption. My heart melted. I took Widget down and she adored them and they thought she was okay, so we did the paper work and I picked them up from the vet last night.

Toto is the Yorkie, 5 pounds of adorable fluff who likes to be near me but is afraid if I reach for him. Annie is a Chi who will take treats but keeps her distance. They were abandoned at the shelter by a homeless couple and, while not starved, were very neglected and fearful. Widget was delighted to see them and not so delighted that they ignored her. I told her to give them time.

So I'm looking at the two tiniest dogs I've ever had and wondering how to best manage them. I posted over in Health & Diet about what to feed them and how much. I can't get them near the pee pads or outdoors because they don't walk on a leash and are afraid of being picked up. Thank heavens their puddles are tiny!
JaneGaelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!