View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Watti
Yorkie Talker

Default Tears and laughter with Watti

Tears and laughter with Watti-watti120914d72.jpg

Watti is now 14 weeks old. He weighs 2.4 kilos (about 5.29 lbs) and I start to worry he is going to be a giant Yorkie

We nearly lost him three weeks ago. He suddenly had horrible diarrhea and vomiting. Within couple of hours, he was so weak he was just lying down and shaking. I tried to give him Nutri Plus but it just made him vomit. I called every vet in town but everyone just told me they had no time and to wait until the next day. But our little boy just got weaker and I started calling the same vets again telling them he is not going to live another 24h. After spending nearly an hour on the phone I managed to get him an urgent appointment to a nearby veterinary center. There he was given medication to stop vomiting and calm his stomach. He was also given liquids and we were sent home with some meds and special food. When we got home he just slept for about four hours without moving a muscle. I just checked every now and then that he was still breathing. Longest hours of my life. When he finally woke up, he was clearly feeling much better. Next morning he was playing happily as if nothing had ever been wrong.

Last weekend he had a play date with a 12 week old Dachshund and 9 week old Toller. It was really quite funny because at first he seemed to think that the little Dachshund was something very dangerous but after a few minutes he started playing very enthusiastically. The puppies run around for 35 minutes or so and then they just passed out . He has also made friends with a Miniature Pinscher and a Chihuahua who both live in this same building.

We have a chewing problem. Watti chews everything – and I do mean EVERYTHING. He chews furniture, electric wires and cables, walls, floor, carpets, magazines, books, aquarium stand (aluminum), rocks, his ceramic bowls…and most of all he loves to chew people’s toes. I’m just glad he is not a Rottweiler. He has plenty of toys to chew, but he just prefers things he is not supposed to chew. Nothing helps. I have tried pet repellants - they work about 15-20 minutes. I have tried lemon juice and white pepper – he loves the taste! I have obviously tried telling him NO, but when he goes to this “terrier mode” he just gets more excited when I tell him NO. When he chews toes, I put him on a “time-out” and it helps (but only if I can catch him first and unfortunately he is much faster than me). I can’t put him on a time-out for chewing everything he is not supposed to chew, because then he would be on time-out most of the day!

Our furbaby also thinks he is a retriever. He carries around all kinds of stuff – toys, blankets, his toileting papers (unfortunately he also likes to shred and chew the papers). If I point an item to him and tell him to “bring it here”, he will pick the item up and follow me looking very proud while he carries the item. Also if I’m sitting down and tell him to “bring me the bunny”, he will bring me something – not necessarily the bunny as he hasn’t yet learned words for his toys, but at least he understands that I want him to bring me something. This isn’t something I have taught him – he just enjoys carrying stuff so much that he has learned this all by himself. Obviously he also loves retrieving a ball. He brings it back to me, but won’t let go off it unless I give him a treat or win a tug-of-war, but I try to avoid the later.
Watti is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!