View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
tommyt37
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New owner looking for veteran owner input

So we have had Max for almost 2 weeks now. Just checking in here to verify my “plan” for training issues we are having.

We were told that Max who is 18 months old was pad trained. He lived in a Barn allot as well a house. When we first got him he did start going on the Pad, or tried to at least he missed a few times but that’s ok… A for effort…. My plan was to get him used to going outside. I take him out with treats in pocket and say “go park” max over and over. Some times he goes other times he just looks at me. When he poops or pees I give lots of praise and a treat.
About 5 days he stopped going pee on the pad and instead pees in one area near the sliding glass door and the drapes. He has pooped once in our bedroom all other times he has made it out side. Now I do take him outside allot and for now I am on a feeding schedule so I can plan his poops. Yet he will still cut loose a pee even if we are home but not actively watching him.
So my question is
1) Just keep going outside and work on his training?
2) I used to give my other male dog (no longer with us 5 years ago) 1 command for pooping he seemed to pee all the time outside so I never worried about it. Do you all give 1 command or a poop and potty command?
3) Planning to get a small indoor fence/gate to keep him in 1 area with his bed until he is fully trained. I try and keep an eye on him all the time for now to recognize his pee attempts…. I have never caught him in the act. Last night took him out at 10pm at 4am saw little puddle on floor in same spot….. That is the scenario. I was thinking of getting that spray stuff that makes him not want to go there but I figured he would just find another spot?
4) He is not fixed. I plan to get him fixed soon but I am not sure that will help too much. When outside he likes to mark allot. Perhaps he doesn’t completely empty his bladder? I know several male dogs that have been fixed that still like to mark allot. What have you all found before and after fixing?
5) He has humped my 5 years on old twice while on the floor. If you ever want a laugh watch a 5 year old come to you and say “Papa Max was doing this to me (motion of dog humping)….Why?” “Uhh dunno son but he shouldn’t” Hey that’s all I could think of at the time… So when my son runs around the house and plays with Max Max gets excited…. I had my son do it again (run around play then drop to floor) and I saw Max sticking the tip of his tongue out…. I knew that was the sign then sure enough he started doing the deed…. I had a spray bottle and blasted his face said no! Will see how that goes…. They played later but Max didn’t do it again….maybe he wasn’t in the “mood” so will getting him fixed knock out that Urge? Seems like I have seen fixed dogs still do it… heck my brothers female small dog does it! Lol
Max is a 5.5 pound 1.5 years old. He has a quiet temperament he does not bark. All thought the last 2 nights after going to bed he has barked a few times in the middle of the night. He loves all the attention something I am sure he didn’t get in his old home so I am sure he wanted 1 of us to come out. I didn’t was thinking of spraying him in the face again but he only barked a few times…. Just wondering if it will increase. At this time he does not bark around other dogs or people. He can be timid and shy and other times will always go up to other people to get a pet. He seems very submissive like he knows I am in charge. I try to keep a firm voice when disciplining him and not yell or sound to angry when I come home and find a pee puddle….. I am human though and my emotions are not happy when I see the puddle….. And he seems to know it by sulking around. II come in the door he is all jacked up walk over to the “spot” where he may go and see it and before I turn around he is all tail between legs and sulking…. You know people say never discipline after the fact and I don’t but I swear they know they have done something wrong you know?
I guess I am writing this to reassure I am doing the right thing? Is there hope if I stick to it? My last dog 5 years ago was a border collie/aussie sheep mix shelter rescue dog and he just seemed to figure it out. Then again he stayed outside allot. Max is my first small in door dog..

Thanks for reading.
tommyt37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!