View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
Madra
Yorkie Yakker

When we discovered we were going to be re-homing a Yorkie back in August, we hurriedly started doing puppy research since it had literally been decades since either of us had had a puppy. Crate training came up, I had mixed feelings but my husband was determined to try it. Best decision ever We were told you want the crate to be just big enough for the pup to be able to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably. Too big and he'll potty in one end.

The first night we walked him just before bed, then into the crate he went. The crate was beside the bed in the spare room (we had pre-determined pup wouldn't be allowed in our room because that was the elderly cats domain) and my hubby slept there the first few nights so Dex wouldn't be alone. He whimpered a couple of times, hubby tapped the top of the crate and said 'Go to sleep Dex.' And he did! Seriously, he whimpered TWICE, then slept til 6am. At 6 he set up a very urgent whimper so he went straight outside for a walk, did his thing and this has been the routine since

As Dex has grown, he's now got a bigger crate that we keep in an Iris pet pen in the living room, with a pee pad, food,water and a few bedtime toys. After his last walk, he goes to bed in the crate, I close the door enough so it looks closed but he can push it open when he wakes up. He's quiet all night til between 6 and 7, then sets up his 'I've gotta gooooooo!' fuss til one of us takes him for his morning walk. He pees on the pee pad overnight, but waits til he's outside for his poops. We use the same arrangement when we're at work.

Anyway, probably more than you were asking, but Dex loves the crate. Initially I had reservations because to be it seemed small and punitive, but once you see how a pup reacts to having his own wee den, you'll see it can be a good thing. Dex even has his bedtime toy...his fabric bat. He picks it up and trots into his crate and cuddles up. Dex is 21 weeks now and we've had him for 7 weeks.
Madra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!