Thread: Senior diet?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Lol, taking treats is a dead giveaway. We seniors love our treats! The only other thing I could think about is his teeth, could his teeth be bothering him? His appetite could be slowing down a little and he might have learned to hold off for treats. I'm not one who advocates switching dog foods a lot, several of my switches have proved disastrous, so, I'm now of the school "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." While I wouldn't switch, just b/c he's older, I would switch if he showed an ongoing disinterest in his regular food. Best of luck and give a hug to that old cutie.

By the way, I remember reading that some of what we call the more nutritious foods are actually harder for a dog to digest, I know white rice is much easier for a dog to digest than brown, I wonder if that's true of the sweet potato, everyone says it's so much more nutritious.
Well, I may have gotten to the bottom of it. I think the home-cooked may have been in the fridge too long and started to go bad!

My nose isn't very good, but I asked my wife to smell it, and she thought it was a little off.

I'm guessing one of two things went wrong -- 1, I was running out of plastic containers, so I went with more of the homecooked in each one. Maybe it went bad in fridge before we ran out. Or 2, maybe sweet potato doesn't last as long as russet!

Anyway, I still want information on senior diet if anyone has any strong feelings about the need for change. Orijen is high protein, if that makes a difference.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!