Thread: Senior diet?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Thanks, Nancy. That was my first thought, that maybe he's not feeling well. But he's otherwise energetic and seemingly healthy. He also takes treats.

By finicky, he looks at his bowl at feeding time and walks away. He's always been a good eater. Today he came back and I hand fed him some kibble and removed the home-cooked from his bowl. He proceeded to go to his bowl and finish it.

His weight hasn't changed, but he has a tendency to gain if I don't watch him. He gets a lot of treats.

I did switch to a sweet potato in his homecooked this time instead of a regular russet like I usually do. Maybe that's bugging him.
Lol, taking treats is a dead giveaway. We seniors love our treats! The only other thing I could think about is his teeth, could his teeth be bothering him? His appetite could be slowing down a little and he might have learned to hold off for treats. I'm not one who advocates switching dog foods a lot, several of my switches have proved disastrous, so, I'm now of the school "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." While I wouldn't switch, just b/c he's older, I would switch if he showed an ongoing disinterest in his regular food. Best of luck and give a hug to that old cutie.

By the way, I remember reading that some of what we call the more nutritious foods are actually harder for a dog to digest, I know white rice is much easier for a dog to digest than brown, I wonder if that's true of the sweet potato, everyone says it's so much more nutritious.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 09-23-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!