View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Your mom needs to be educated on pancreatitis. It's a horrible disease and very painful. It literally can come about with one unhealthy snack. Yorkies are known for having a week digestive system and are more prone to pancreatitis than other breeds. Acute pancreatitis can easily turn into chronic pancreatitis and after that nothing is the same. Special super bland food has to be given and they can't even have any "healthy dog snacks. Not only that it's very expensive to treat. Many dogs have to be hospitalized during a flare-up and it's so painful that it temporarily causes some dogs to become aggressive. All and all it's a horrible disease. Your dog might even be experiencing acute symptoms occasionally because lack of appetite is a symptom. They actually aren't suppose to eat during an attack, so not eating is not a bad thing. By the way, I think it costs about $3,000 to treat a dog with it's first episode of pancreatitis and don't forget, it's in terrible pain.

Until your mom quits feeding, you don't have a chance. While I don't suggest "staving a dog", you can withhold food for 8 hours and try to feed, then go another 8 -10 hours. Pick up the food after half an hour and replace with completely fresh food when you reintroduce it. Unless your dog has low blood sugar problems or acid reflux going 24 hours without food won't cause a problem. I also use Joey's kibble as treats, maybe your mom can get use to doing that?

Last edited by Nancy1999; 09-17-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!