View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'd just explain to her that a Yorkshire Terrier is a breed in trouble, prone to IBS and pancreatitis and rich food could give her raging diarrhea and vomiting which can lead to serious gastroenteritis and even literally kill her if her pancreas becomes inflamed by too rich a bite of something. Read up on gastroenteritis and pancreatitis in Yorkshire Terriers if you aren't already full of facts so that you can argue your case intelligently.

My Tibbe had a cast iron stomach for years and could eat anything I fed him until one day he couldn't - and then life changed a lot. Much suffering on both our parts - quite literally for his part, long nights of worry, countless vet visits, hospitalizations and thousands of dollars later, now he's on the strictest of hepatic and IBS diets and I would physically walk over and stop anyone trying to harm him despite my warnings by feeding him human food.

I wouldn't take the chance if I were you on my baby developing pancreatitis because this woman doesn't know enough to care. Stand up laughing, say "You forgot what I told you - this could hurt her and being a Yorkie, even possibly kill her", dash over and take the food from her before she's got a change to hand it to your Yorkie if she can't catch on any other way, smiling all the while but standing in there for your baby. If you have to, start leaving her in your room during meals or whenever are snacks out for the meantime until things get settled.

excellent advice and very diplomatic which is the best route given your situation

my mother in law fed teddy pieces of sausage over the weekend when I took him to their house for a visit.

She thinks I didn't know, but I know she'll do anything to MAKE someone/thing like her, so I will be extra vigilant in future and explain to her that Yorkies have very sensitive stomachs.

I think people forget that animals aren't human and harm them with kindness. Since she is being nice in her own way, your best route would be to gently educate her for your dogs sake.

Good luck!!!!
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!