View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Yes I would do denamarin with that ALT. Not sure I would do the ursadiol though. Did she have an ultrasound?
You could consider a lower fat option with moderately restricted protein. Purina HA is a good one, or you could home cook and have a recipe made (you'll need a customized consult).
Not sure what the logic is for metronidazole. Unless the dog had diarrhea I would not be wanting to use it.

BTW, my dog has had liver disease since being diagnosed at age 6....she's turning 14.... She cannot eat l/d and it's high in fat. They don't even rec that anymore unless the dog has neurological signs.

I'm not a vet so I can't say what you should do, but I disagree with my vets all the time and I've always taken the position that I know my dog best. I also think I know the breed very well. The propensity is high for pancreatitis and age adds to that risk. I just had my dog set off by a diet lower in fat than l/d and it was a shocker. The vet community in my humble view sometimes is too lax with our breed and pancreatitis. There are many foods that are appropriate for a liver impaired dog that are lower in fat.

Last edited by 107barney; 09-04-2014 at 09:39 AM.
107barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!