View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprak View Post
Dear yorkie lovers,
I decided to write this to those, who are dealing with one of the hardest decisions in life - putting your yorkie to sleep forever. Before I get to the point, let me describe myself and my little buddy, so you will understand the point fully. I raised my yorkie from 8 weeks old puppy. Being a single man, my dog was practically everything to me. It was kind of man to man relationship and for seventeen long years the dog was my friend, my companion and we never left each other behind. I work in different countries and wherever I went, my dog went with me. We have seen many hotels, many airports, many apartments. We have sat down at many lakes and enjoyed many sunsets while camping. I made sure he had the highest quality of food and a cookie hidden some place every day, so he had his fun looking for it. I think that should give you an idea that we really loved each other.

After 16 years of good times, he was physically still fine, lost his hearing and almost all eye sight, but still enjoyed his meal like crazy, running around while being on a leash, basically the quality of life was still there. Then dementia hit and things started to get worse. He was having paranoia attacks, when he would forget where he was and he would start crying like crazy. These were sudden attacks while walking in circles, or just after he woke up after sleeping like baby for hours. These attacks of terror were first very seldom and as the time progressed, they became more and more frequent. I am going to mention that I tried to help, went to the vet, tried to comfort my little friend as much as possible, but the situation was getting very stressful for both of us. After few months I started to think about the last moments and I was put in front of decision: end it or not? And here is my point: I was searching for an answer everywhere and find only answers like "Your dog will let you know it is the time" That is not the answer from my experience and I would like to help all of you who are looking for the answer with specifically answering this tough moment. The dog will not show you anything, it will cope with its situation the best it can, in many cases hide its pain, that is natural as animals in the nature need to look healthy for self defense. The answer will come from respect and your love for your buddy, which you have inside you. You will try to procrastinate the final day like crazy, not willing to let go. You will do your very best to keep your pooch for as long as possible. That is what I did also.

Then one day you will realize that it is breaking your heart to see the dog you love so much in such a condition more than letting it go. It will be the time when you will put the pooch's need before your and clearly feel that you don't want to continue because of your friends best interest. That love and respect inside you will CLEARLY tell you that. That is the clear signal you will get, from within you. My advice is when you get that signal, listen to it and act. Another advice: go with the dog and hold the dog until the end. I did and I am so glad I did support my buddy until his heart has stopped. I was there and even tough those moments were very hard, the fact I paid that price for him by being there was rewarding afterwards. It was paying back for all the time he was there for me, it was the ultimate sacrifice I did for him - support him until the very end and not let him behind. I hope very much that it made the last moments easier for him, that he was not scared, he felt I was there, right with him and helped him thru the last moments.

After it is all done, you will be grieving like crazy. You will suddenly hear your computer or fridge running, because one sound will be missing and there will be a huge hole some place where the dog was usually sleeping. You will have a tendency to drown in dark thoughts like if you paid enough of attention, if the dog was happy, if you should have not waited a bit longer and so on. This may help you: if the spirit of the dog was alive and sitting somewhere near you, would it be happy to see you like this, lost, crying and full of thoughts like that? No, it would be very sad. Your little hairy buddy loved when you were happy, so imagine he/she is right there, beside you and act like that. Keep the good memories flowing, make a nice picture, put it where you can see it and remember the great times you had together. You have done the best for your friend when he/she was alive and you can keep the good relationship even after he/she is gone - in your soul and in your heart. I typed this experience of mine hoping that it will help you through the tough times in a case you are in similar situation. Hopefully it will do the purpose.
Have a good day and enjoy the company of your little buddies. I enjoyed my and it was a pleasure every day.

Sincerely,
Peter

Well written Peter, been there, done that.... This is the best gift to give your dog when you know his creator wants him to come home....It is not the easiest decision to make, but we do it for our loved babies, end their suffering. Be with them, hold them, let them know you are with them to the end.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!