View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
It may just be my imagination, but it seems like we are having a "bumper crop" on CT!!! I have never seen so many pups diagnosed with CT as I have seen recently on YT!! What in the world is going on out there with all these babies coming up with CT?????
I started my thread on CT because of all that I read about this coughing business. Normally if any of my dogs just coughed on occasion I never paid no mind to it. Since joining YT I have read so much about coughing turning into CT. The last few weeks Cody coughed, not everyday and not a constant cough, and coughs always had a diff. sound one day he coughed for a few seconds, that caused concern. I had an appointment for the 29th to bring Cody in for allergies, I did the limited ingredients dog food with venison for a couple of months, still scratching, so it has to be environmental, since I had the appointment I was going to bring up to my vet about the coughing, but I had also read coughing can come from allergies. Mindy10 thread she wrote her vet pinched her pups throat, pup coughed, vet said CT. My thread was what other testing could be done to determine CT besides pinching their throat. ladyjane gave the answer, very clear. I would not have taken Cody to the vet for a few coughs, but since I was going why not ask,and I did. 7 days before the appointment Cody refused to eat his dry kibble that he LOVES. Cody is not a picky eater, he does not like moist kibbles, he LOVES dry kibbles. Cody did not eat for one day, so I thought he was tired of the venison, so I got him a bag of Bison and also got boneless chicken cutlets just in case. I offered him the Bison dry food, he refused. I cooked the chic.cutlets, if he refused the chicken then I would know he was sick and off to ER we would go. I gave him the chic. he ate it, ok not sick,I shredded up the chic and mixed it in the dry food, he ate the chic but not the kibbles. Ok, I took the kibbles soaked it in chic broth, mixed in a bit of shredded chic he ate it in a blink of the eye. I feed him the moist kibbles thinking it has to be a tooth or teeth issue. For the rest of the week until my appointment I feed him moist kibble with shredded chic.. At the vet I told her all the above, and feeding him the limited ingredients dog food. She checked his teeth, said his teeth are fine, I said there has to be something that he is refusing to eat his kibbles. What I saw my vet do was, she took her left arm, placed it under him on his chest behind his front legs, she pushed up on his chest, at the same time she kinda pinched / squeezed his throat, causing him to cough, I said that’s the sound he makes most of the time when he coughs. She said it’s not CT, she said he has nasal drip that is irritating his throat, that’s why he’s not eating the dry food, it scratches his throat causing him pain, the moist food doesn’t. She said the cough is from the allergies. She gave him an injection of Apoguel for immediate relief of the itching until the pills kicked in. He was given Apoquel to treat the nasal drip to be given for 14 days and Cetirizine for the allergies. In a nut shell lol, all coughs do not necessarily mean CT, they can be allergy related.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!