View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
GnuHouse
Yorkie Yakker

Default Yorkie sick after neutering

We got Bentley neutered on Monday, just shortly after he turned 7 months. He needed to have a tooth extracted at the same time. The vet sent us home with Meloxicam, which we were to give him 6 drops onto his food once a day for 3-5 days, starting yesterday.

When he came home Monday he was fine. We didn't feed him, as per the vet's instructions, but just gave him water. Yesterday we fed him at 6:30am, as we usually do, and then again around 5:30pm as per his normal schedule. Throughout the day he went to the bathroom as normal (although his 6:35 poop was non-existent...yes, Bentley is THAT regimented. He eats then he poops), although he didn't poop in the evening (either on his tiny walk down the street or before he went to bed).

Well, we woke up at 2am to Bentley whining in his crate. He had diarrhea and he was covered in it (likely because of close quarters). He then proceeded to have diarrhea about three or four more times throughout the night. Each time wasn't huge, but it was definitely unpleasant.

I'm suspicious about the Meloxicam, since that's the real variable here. We called the vet and they told us that it likely was the anesthetic that was still giving him issues, not the meds. Would it still be bothering him more than 24 hours later? Their suggestion was to break up his evening feed, so he gets half around lunch time, half around dinner, mixed in with rice and the Meloxicam.

Anyone else seen this post neutering/tooth extraction? My wife and I don't want to see him go through another night like last night (nevermind not wanting to go through it ourselves!)
GnuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!