View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
SirTeddykins
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pja View Post
Hello - first day here and hoping other Yorkie pros can help. Kevin is a giant Yorkie estimated to be just over a year old. He is a rescue and I have had him for about 3 months. I am starting to be convinced he was put out by his former owners because he is incorrigible. I have two other dogs, a Bichon mix for 6 years (since he was 8 weeks old) and a Schnauzer mix rescue est to be 5 years old (had for 2 years). With the first two dogs I have gone through many training classes and I also volunteer at an animal shelter so while new to Yorkies, I am not a dog owner newbie.

Kevin was not neutered when found but was the day I brought him home. He appears to have never been trained, but I have taught him sit and he does respond to a firm "no" now. I already consider him part of the family and love him, but there are several issues I need help with.

-Excessive barking - I think this seems to be for attention, but it is also if I am not doing what he wants fast enough. Exp, the dogs sleep in the bedroom with me and as soon as I turn on the light in the morning he barks until he is let out, which incidentally is first thing I do Our dog trainer advised that it is a big mistake to let some dogs sleep with you or even in the same room when they are insecure/dominant - I would assume since the dog is a rescue dog he may be insecure and so shows tendencies like possessiveness of your space which is encouraged when you allow dogs to sleep in the same room as you do - I would advise putting a crate or a bed somewhere else in the house - even just outside of the bedroom door - to command your space back. Same when he wants food (which is given on a schedule). Do not give him food when he barks - this is demand barking and if you do what he wants when he barks you are telling him that's how he gets his way - when he barks you say QUIET and as soon as he's not barking - you praise him and reward him with his food He also barks crazily if I have my cell phone in my hand or flush the toilet(??!!) Again, when he barks, say QUIET and praise/treat him immediately (my dog started to do the same thing with phones - yes, it is annoying but persistence is key). I get he is associating these things with something causing him agitation but it needs to stop. it sounds like insecurity and I'll bet he looks to you when he barks - unless you tell him NO or QUIET - you are telling him barking is acceptable under the above conditions

-Jumping - on everything - tell him NO or DOWN as soon as he even looks like he's about to jump on anything - praise him for listening

-Biting - he has nipped 3 people, 2 on the tush and one on the hip - the one on the hip did not seem intentional, when he jumps his mouth is usually open and he has HUGE teeth and it seem he more hit her with his teeth. The other two he straight-up bit them on the butt. He does sometimes jump on me and I push him down and then turn my back on him with a "no", he has never bit me but has hit me with his open mouth as he is jumping. tell him NO and lay down and praise him when calm - if he's jumping when he's greeting tell him NO and ignore him anytime he's not calm whether or not his mouth is open

- Leash - the first 5ish minutes on a leash he is like the Tasmanian Devil. I am using a harness and have a double loop leash so I can hold him close until he settles but we both must look demented during those few minutes which seem like an hour. As he tries to bite and grab the leash I correct with No/Enough. He loves to walk and I give him a good deal of exercise but this is stressful on all of us. - I have the same problem at the minute so not able to help with this yet!!!!

- Overall he is good with the other two dogs, but he can be very aggressive about resource guarding food and toys and will take away stuff from them even if it is not his. Make him wait for his food and tell him OK to release him after you make him lay down at the food bowl - this tells him that you are in control of food not the other dogs or him - praise him for waiting and eating only upon release Definitely does not share well.

I was having issues with him marking but have solved that by crating him when I am not there. - I did too recently. You have to watch him and if he even looks like he's lifting his leg say NO and tell him go potty in the right spot and reward him - if he doesn't go - crate him for 20 minutes, tell him to go potty again and let him out only after he's gone potty - marking and potty is NOT always the same thing and if he's gotten used to marking with no consequence the only way he'll learn its not acceptable is when you catch him and correct the behavior

I do not want to give up on the little guy, but I do not think that the type of group training I took the other two to will work for him as the other dogs will be a distraction or a source of aggression for him. I am willing to invest in him if I can find a good (reasonably priced) trainer in SE Michigan. - my trainer said you have to be the general to a soldier - I think with more consistent training and patience - you can crack the above - but it will take work and time

Sorry for the very long post. Any help is appreciated.

I have put some comments in red for you which I hope will assist.

I'm not suggesting anything is easy or quick! It sounds as though you are being too lenient for his personality so just up the authority and give him a leader and I think he'll be okay.
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!