View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
pja
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My giant Yorkie is a giant problem

Hello - first day here and hoping other Yorkie pros can help. Kevin is a giant Yorkie estimated to be just over a year old. He is a rescue and I have had him for about 3 months. I am starting to be convinced he was put out by his former owners because he is incorrigible. I have two other dogs, a Bichon mix for 6 years (since he was 8 weeks old) and a Schnauzer mix rescue est to be 5 years old (had for 2 years). With the first two dogs I have gone through many training classes and I also volunteer at an animal shelter so while new to Yorkies, I am not a dog owner newbie.

Kevin was not neutered when found but was the day I brought him home. He appears to have never been trained, but I have taught him sit and he does respond to a firm "no" now. I already consider him part of the family and love him, but there are several issues I need help with.

-Excessive barking - I think this seems to be for attention, but it is also if I am not doing what he wants fast enough. Exp, the dogs sleep in the bedroom with me and as soon as I turn on the light in the morning he barks until he is let out, which incidentally is first thing I do. Same when he wants food (which is given on a schedule). He also barks crazily if I have my cell phone in my hand or flush the toilet(??!!). I get he is associating these things with something causing him agitation but it needs to stop.

-Jumping - on everything

-Biting - he has nipped 3 people, 2 on the tush and one on the hip - the one on the hip did not seem intentional, when he jumps his mouth is usually open and he has HUGE teeth and it seem he more hit her with his teeth. The other two he straight-up bit them on the butt. He does sometimes jump on me and I push him down and then turn my back on him with a "no", he has never bit me but has hit me with his open mouth as he is jumping.

- Leash - the first 5ish minutes on a leash he is like the Tasmanian Devil. I am using a harness and have a double loop leash so I can hold him close until he settles but we both must look demented during those few minutes which seem like an hour. As he tries to bite and grab the leash I correct with No/Enough. He loves to walk and I give him a good deal of exercise but this is stressful on all of us.

- Overall he is good with the other two dogs, but he can be very aggressive about resource guarding food and toys and will take away stuff from them even if it is not his. Definitely does not share well.

I was having issues with him marking but have solved that by crating him when I am not there.

I do not want to give up on the little guy, but I do not think that the type of group training I took the other two to will work for him as the other dogs will be a distraction or a source of aggression for him. I am willing to invest in him if I can find a good (reasonably priced) trainer in SE Michigan.

Sorry for the very long post. Any help is appreciated.
pja is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!