View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
aria7
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Poo eating problems

Hi everyone! Before anything else, I would like to say thank you to the members of this community for asking and answering all the questions our family had before getting a yorkie. You guys are great!

Anyway, moving on to the problem I had...

We have a 17 week old female. It's been a month since we got her, and so far things are looking pretty good, except for the fact that she's been eating her poo after going on the pad, sometimes dragging it off to her bed. We moniter her very closely during the day, so as soon as she goes we're there to pick it up right away. However, we can't be there to watch her at night, which is the time when she eats her poo. We have tried using meat tenderizer, coprophagia soft chews, pineapple, and the product For-Bid (which also prevents coprophagia), but none of these have worked. It seems to me that for our puppy anything goes when it comes to eating. She's always searching for food when she's out of her playpen and in our kitchen, and outside she eats everything too.

The other problem with this is that I'm 90% sure that she knows that she isn't supposed to eat her feces, but does it anyway. What we did to pad train her was to give her treats as soon as she went, and so during the day she has an incentive to not eat it so that she can be rewarded, and I think that since she does not receive treats for going on the pad at night, she eats it, although whether out of boredom or curiousity or what I don't know. For that reason I also believe that she would most likely eat it during the day as well if we weren't around to watch her. I haven't found anything on the forum about dogs eating their poo despite knowing that it is wrong.

Sorry for this wall of text I just really hope that my problem can be solved.
aria7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!