View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #238
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaly View Post
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. —Ian Maclaren

I love this poster and quote. There is a book for middle school aged kids called Wonder that has sold over a million copies. It is now a school-wide read for our district's middle school. Although my students are ninth graders, I read it to see how I could spread the book's important message to them. The book has great appeal to kids, but adults have really loved it, including me. It is about a boy with severe craniofacial abnormalities who enters school for the very first time in fifth grade. There is a big campaign (Choose Kind) spreading the book's anti-bullying message. If you have children it's wonderful to read this book with them. This quote was used in the follow up book to Wonder that had a chapter written from the bully's point of view.

Wonder

The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story: R. J. Palacio, Michael Chamberlain: 9781491524084: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story (Kindle Single) eBook: R. J. Palacio: Kindle Store

These are some of Wonder's quotes about kindness:

“When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind. - Dr Wayne W. Dyer”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder

“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder
From a quote by Barrie, the author of Peter Pan

Part of the passage that used the quote:
“But in another book by J. M. Barrie called The Little White Bird … he writes …” He started flipping through a small book on the podium until he found the page he was looking for, and then he put on his reading glasses. “ ‘Shall we make a new rule of life … always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?’ ” Here Mr. Tushman looked up at the audience. “Kinder than is necessary,” he repeated. “What a marvelous line, isn’t it? Kinder than is necessary. Because it’s not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder

“We carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of kindness.”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder

“There’s no rule book that tells you how to act in every given situation in life, you know? So what I always say is that it’s always better to err on the side of kindness. That’s the secret. If you don’t know what to do, just be kind. You can’t go wrong.”
― R.J. Palacio, The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story
Lovely...thanks for posting this. Love all the quotes, but especially the last two.

There are a few qualities that I especially admire in other people...and wow, do I ever admire people who walk the walk in terms of being kind and respectful, no matter the situation, even when/if heightened or confrontational. I SO admire those who handle themselves well in difficult situations - I think it says it all about who they really are at the core of their being.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!