View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
paisleypixels
Yorkie Yakker

Default Type of crate to use?

My boy is 14 weeks and up until yesterday, I was using an x-pen with pads on one side and bed/food/water/toys on the other side. He would use the pads when he was in the pen, but my vet and the dog trainer have recommended taking the pen away and using a crate and supervised free time.

I really like the x-pen and although I know crate training is a good thing, I was a little hesitant.. BUT I'm glad I did. It's still early, but last night was our first night with no overnight messes! (He was crated and woke me up to go out at 1:00am after last out at 9:30pm, then we got up for the day at 5:30am)

My question is - the "crate" I have is actually a travel bag. It's big enough for him to stand up and turn around, in fact he can lay down in there perpendicularly so there's extra room.. even though it seems small compared to the 3x6' pen we were using. Should I get a wire one or a plastic pet taxi style instead? There is a sherpa liner at the bottom and I have replacement liners for the travel bag... this is the bag we use in the car (it buckles in) and is also airline compliant for when the time comes (we like to travel).

Here is what we're using now:
Sherpa 11721 Delta Deluxe Pet Carrier Medium Black:
18 x 11 x 10.5 inches

AmazonAmazon
Sherpa Replacement Liners 151 Medium:
Amazon.com : Sherpa Replacement Liners 152 Medium...Amazon.com : Sherpa Replacement Liners 152 Medium...

ALSO, next week he is going to start coming with me to my office. (DH is off work this week so he's on puppy duty)... should I take "thee" crate back and forth and always use the exact same one, or should I buy two of the same and leave one at home, one at the office.

If I buy a new, different style crate, should I start using that one in the car or should I continue to use the travel bag?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeltaCallouts._SL600_.jpg (40.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 418LJrZv7iL.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 61zzTDa5TaL._SL1500_.jpg (83.9 KB, 0 views)
paisleypixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!