View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

I don't know that UT is necessarily the best. People say that because Dr. Tobias is a leading researcher in liver shunts. The surgery is not exactly rocket science, BUT I would not allow anyone but a board certified surgeon to do the surgery.

I do believe, from what I have heard, that UT is one of the most reasonable places to have it done in terms of cost. The last I heard, it was around $1,800 but that was some time ago. I think if you call there they would give you a ball park figure.

My Teddy Bear had surgery last year at a specialty hospital in Houston; but honestly I could not tell you how much because he had other issues and the bill was high because he was in the EC for a night, then in ICU for a night and he had bladder stones. In the end it cost me just under $8,000. I believe shunt correction is probably around $3,000. I can certainly ask on Monday if you want to know how much it is around here...not that it would be the same where you are.

As for what happens after surgery, my Teddy did fantastic and most that I know about also do well. Certainly there can be complications in any case. Probably best to wait and see for sure what is going on with your pup.

Please keep us posted!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!