View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
BustersMom13
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Anxiety/Aggression

My Buster is 3 years old (will be 4 on September 30th) and I've come seeking advice for his anxiety/aggression. He gets anxious when he hears other dogs barking or people talking outside. He'll pace around the house and cry/growl/bark... and when he sees some people and all other dogs he goes NUTS! DH and I took him to obedience classes and aside from being distracted by and trying to attack some of the other dogs he did well. We've noticed this since he was about a year old and have tried to correct it ourselves with discipline and the classes. He listens to commands DH and I give him but when he sees a stranger (particularly men) or another animal it's like a switch flips and he is an entirely different dog. He looks and sounds ferocious and there is nothing DH and I can do to calm him aside from removing him from the situation. He actually bit and drew blood on DH's leg during a walk because we were walking by another dog and DH tried to keep him walking and his leg got in Buster's way and he bit. I'm afraid to take him to places like PetSmart or PetCo for fear of him seeing another dog and acting out. I know I definitely can't take him to the dog park. He goes ballistic when he sees neighbors/neighbor dogs and the neighbors just stop and stare at him like he's crazy (which makes it worse). He also has this reaction when he sees any animal on TV... However, that has gotten better over time with DH and I telling him to stay during commercials/shows with animals in them. I want to take him to the dog park.. I want to enjoy walks with him... I don't want to live in fear that he is going to bite someone someday and he's going to be taken away from us. DH and I are really trying with him.. he's our boy and giving up on him isn't an option. He's usually as sweet at pie with us but like I said sometimes it's like a switch flips and he's not the same dog... I feel like maybe we are coming at it the wrong way? I'm just not sure what to do and would love some shared experiences/advice. Thanks!

Last edited by BustersMom13; 08-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.
BustersMom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!