Thread: Mom too hot?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It should be fine to turn the air on low as long as the room does not get to cold, as long the air is not blowing on the pups and the pups have a warm place to lay. I always use a heating pad that I put under just 1/2 of their bedding so the pups can crawl off of it if they get cold. You can drape a sheet over the pen to give her more privacy and to block any breeze. You do not want the mom to get to hot or it will effect her milk production. New mommas normally do a lot of panting after having puppies. Your main concern will be that she did pass all the pups and all the placentas. Make sure momma is not running a temperature. If her temperature goes over 103 then she needs to see a vet immediately.
I am glad you are having a vet to come check her. Do you have calcium pills for her?

If you have other dogs in the house then it would be best to confine Hailey to a pen so other dogs cannot get to her pups.

Please keep us updated on how she is dong.

I always put that heating pad UNDER the entire box and not just under the blankets, so that if the puppies do get directly on top of the heating pad, they dont cook! Always cover the pen with a sheet to keep drafts off the puppies.....every thing "bjh" said above, I agree with....I dont use calcium tablets, I use a calcium paste, but I keep levels drawn on my mommas so I know exactly where they are with their calcium levels. I feed moms calcium rich foods also...yogurt, cottage cheese, canned salmon with the bones, etc. Unless you have a large litter, or a momma that has issues with calcium levels dropping, usually just the additional foods work fine. But calcium is important, so whatever it takes.... Be sure you take moms temp daily....I do it twice a day, to be sure there is nothing going on....I believe in Crisis prevention rather than crisis management!!

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 07-31-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!