View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Yorkies;4472284[B
[U]]AKC would be extremely upset to hear of mixing litters without microchips[/U][/B]! I would never in a million years mix litters together. A breeder in good standing with AKC is required to keep the records with parentage and since there could be a confusion by mixing litters, it wouldn't be fair to AKC or the new family if there was an accidental mix up.
I would also be concerned that your Moms have access to each other and/or puppies. You could have a terrible fight where a Mom or mistakenly a puppy gets injured or killed. It could and does happen! Keep them in separate rooms.

I remember years ago when I started breeding, I mixed two older litters in a playpen. These puppies had on little collars that clearly ID'd them....I thought my mentor was going to kill me! She is no nonsense and brutal, but she KNOWS her stuff and knows how to stress an important point!!! I fully expected to be struck dead by a lightening strike from above! She read me the riot act for a full 40 minutes, and finished by saying she hoped I did not tell anyone that I was putting different litters together, because, if reported to the AKC, that would get the AKC and God only knows who else, swarming all over my records and my home! The very least it could end up costing me was having all 4 breeding parents DNA'd, and all the puppies DNA'd to assure correct parentage....that is quite a bit of $$$$! Seems I remember reading someplace that mixing different litters together was not tolerated as far as what the AKC considers acceptable protocol. I would not encourage you to do this. Beyond this point, some mothers will kill babies if they smell another litter smell on their puppies....

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 07-31-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!