View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teti17 View Post
Hello! I got my new yorkie puppy 4 days ago, she was 8 weeks and 0.7kg (24.6 oz) and now she's already 0.9kg (31.7 oz). I'm feeding her a little more than the breeder recommended but that's because she seems so hungry! After I give her the recommended amount she keeps searching for more and looking at me with a sad face... Can anyone help me please? Is that weigh gain normal or too much?
Well its nice to hear of a Yorkie with a good appetite! Given her light weight in this case I think "free feeding", or very frequent regulated feedings is advised. Also on the weight gain, did you when you received her weigh her on the same scale that you used 4 days later? If not different scales can give different weight measurements. Wait another 4 days keep to the same feeding schedule and then see what the weight gain is.

Also you if you have not already done so, need to bring her in to the vets for a full check up.

Everyone has different opinions on free versus scheduled feeding times. In a multiple dog household, I choose to feed on a schedule, for several reasons: some dogs might need to be on a specialized diet, I know how much each dog eats, and therefor I am able to adust feeding volumne according to physical condition. I also weigh or use measuring cups, as I have learnt that my eye is not a good judge of volumne/weight of food in the bowl

Good luck with your young puppy... Happy Yorkie kisses to you
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!