View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforone View Post
That's a VERY debatable topic. I could hand you 10 different articles/books that say otherwise. And you could probably give me some back.
But the OP is struggling and it's worth looking into/trying.
Just about everything about dog behavior and how to deal with them is debatable but a human simply eating before a dog with a tendency to resource-hogging won't solely cause him to stop attacking another dog for its food during mealtime or actually stop him from trying to get to that dog's food - only the dog trainer with a determined, strong leadership ability and willing to persistently correct and train the offending dog who causes the tension at mealtime how to behave properly during meals will end unwanted behavior and show the misbehaving dog how you expect him to conduct himself when eating. And once he gets the idea and realizes you won't accept anything else from him, while rewarding good eating manners, he'll eventually start to eat his dinner peacefully. Just keep in mind that at times during the training phase and maybe even at times months and years down the road, that doggie very likely will still occasionally re-offend if the trainer is distracted. Just stepping up and taking control of him at that point w/out rancor will quickly remind him how he's expected to act, he'll respect that calm but firm leadership and he'll further see your pride in him once he complies, resumes eating and hears your "good boy".
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!