View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

If this vet is out of ideas, I'd get a second opinion with an internist as ladyjane recommended. Your dog is vomiting because something is wrong or he's getting into something he shouldn't with regularity. My Tibbe had had an iffy tummy for a year or so, occasionally spit up bile, refused to eat for half up to a whole day, just lay about those days and it turns out, had MVD and went undiagnosed for quite some time until another member here - Ellie May/Crystal - who is studying to be a vet, told me that a dog can have liver pathology even though the routine liver studies done as part of the twice-yearly blood tests are all normal. So, I asked for a Bile Acids Test and it was positive. Further testing - a scintigraphy and abdominal sonogram - revealed Tibbe did not have liver shunt but he was diagnosed as MVD(microvascular dysplasia), a condition where the liver are portal vessels are underdeveloped and doesn't properly process toxins, handle proteins normally or properly clean the blood. Once his diet was changed to a hepatic diet, within a short time he stopped his vomiting and now only has the very occasional bout of nausea and is feisty and has all the Yorkie attitude he always had. I've read many places that dogs with MVD can live long, productive and fun lives once they have proper care.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!