View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Yorkie left paralyzed after saving toddler faces multiple surgeries

DICKINSON, Texas – We have an update on a Yorkie left paralyzed while protecting a 3-year-old Dickinson boy from a “ferocious” dog.
Ezio, the 11-pound Yorkie, suffered a broken neck, spinal cord and crushed trachea when the dog attacked him.

Shannon Long said her neighbor’s dog broke through a plywood fence last Friday and aggressively approached her grandson in their backyard.
Ezio charged toward the much larger dog to protect the boy.

“The dog was 10 times the size of Ezio. This big giant dog, if it stands up, is as tall as me,” explained Long. “The dog is ferocious.”

When the toddler ran inside, the dog turned its attention to the Yorkie.
“Ezio was trying to get that big dog,” said 3-year-old Gavin Clark. “He saved my life.”

“So he picks Ezio by his neck and lifts him and shakes and shakes and shakes and throws him down,” said Long.

Ezio was rushed to a veterinarian’s office where it cost $5,000 to keep him alive.

“We don’t have a lot of money. We have three kids and two grandkids,” said Long. “My daughter emptied her bank account. My husband and I emptied our bank account.

The vet said it would cost at least another $10,000 to give Ezio a shot at walking again.

“The doctor said, ‘Well, you’ll have to put him down,’” cried Long. “I just can’t do that. He saved Gavin’s life, and I can’t give up on his.”

The family has set up a site to raise donations and over $23,000 has been collected so far.

Ezio had surgical scope testing under anesthesia Monday and faces a number of surgeries in the coming weeks.

Click here if you would like to contribute to Ezio’s recovery.

Ezio now has his own Facebook page if you’d like to follow his progress.

Yorkie left paralyzed after saving toddler faces multiple surgeries | khou.com Houston
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!