View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #11
magicgenie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default these may be missed opportunities---

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan View Post
Magicgenie I think you make a really great point about how this could possibly lead to the extinction of small kennels producing healthy, happy, show quality puppies. This concerns me greatly.

I do think there are some solutions but it requires real leadership. Am I misguided to look to the AKC as the organization that should be providing leadership here?

The AKC has to become more modern and connect with young people more. It has to be more than just starting a facebook page and a website. The Junior handlers program is great. Still, more could be done to engage young people. I work as a teacher, I can tell you for sure that many kids would benefit from having a dog let alone competing in an event, any event. There are too many lonely, overweight, kids with nothing to do after school. There are also tons of happy healthy kids that love dogs. Why not create an afterschool program for kids where they are taught all the different events, what makes each breed unique, what jobs they were bred to do. You could have trained dogs there to demonstrate and kids would be encouraged to bring their own dog, if a kid doesn't have a dog they can join to and practice with a trained dog. Just one idea.

We need a way to teach people what breeding really requires, how it is a combination of art and science, the incredible amount of work it is. How expensive it is etc., but provide an entry point for younger adults to learn about breeding dogs the right way. Most breeders I know are getting old. Somebody has to replace these people eventually if it is to go on.

What about a tv network? Horse racing has done this (TVG). Why not the AKC? There are literally limitless amounts of content you could produce that could really show people what is really going on. Plus, the content could be entertaining as hell! I could watch those dogs jump off that dock all day. Seriously though, reality shows, all AKC events, features on heroic or historic dogs. I could go on and on. Again, just an idea.

Good ideas, Swan, and I hope you hold on to your optimism. For my part, I fear the animal rights people are too deeply dug into all of breeding and we'll have to lose everything before people a couple of generations from now look back with regret at all that's been lost.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!