View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
T-Rox
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unhappy Tick Nightmare!!!

Roxy never had a tick in her life until we moved to the Texas coast (hot and humid) last month I found an infestation on her I'm talking 15+ Ticks some were engorged, I couldn't find tweezers fast enough and went into mommy mode and starting pulling them off with my fingers!! I had never even seen a tick in my life up to that point, I was shocked and repulsed.
It was DISGUSTING, and heartbreaking, I couldn't believe she had so many and I didn't notice them before feeding as much as they did to get that big. I still have nightmares about it and I constantly feel creepy crawly things on me now. I'm completely paranoid that they are all around my house and on my skin. It is seriously going to give me an OCD problem.

Since then I've shaved her pretty short, upped her baths from bi-weekly to weekly, and have been using AdvantixII but I'm still pulling 3-5 small ticks off of her DAILY!
I've read around that this is a bad year for ticks but man something has got to give. I've become less shocked at the sight of them and check her from head to toe after every trip outside, before bed, and every morning.

If you're still with me thank you for listening to my story/rant and I actually do have a few questions.
Yorkie hair seems to absorb topical product, no matter how well I part her hair or how small of drops I apply it all seems to end up in her hair. After a few days the spot doesn't look so greasy and I wonder if that's because it still continues to absorb through her hair follicles or is it most likely drying up or being rubbed off?
Also I never find ticks where I applied the medicine so I know they stay away from the area so I wonder if I should spread the medicine out in other places she can't reach like under her arm pits and behind her ears where they love to hide.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Sorry for the novel. I feel less alone here.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!