Thread: Run away Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
pink66
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGirlLola View Post
Training, like the others said is very important, but until you can accomplish it try running away from your puppy. He'll probably chase you.

One thing I do is I always carry Lola in and out of my house, it seems to help her know that she can't walk out on her own. She's only gone out the door once, I came home and in her excitement she stepped out and stood between my legs and the door. I picked her up, told her that was bad and she hasn't done it again.

I totally agree with this! Puff got out twice as a puppy, both times she ran out behind my husband and he never even knew it! Thank God my son was home and heard barking and investigated. This scared me so bad that we also instituted having her never walk in or out of the door. She just turned 2 and will not walk outside from any door in the house--she waits to be picked up, even if she knows she's going for a walk or ride in the car. In my case it was much easier to train her to never go out on her own than try to train a husband (who just last night let the cat get out--again!)
Running in the opposite direction has worked with every dog I've ever tried it with!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!