View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
AZME
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

My dog originally was a bit afraid about being put in his travel bag…I would leave it out and let him sleep in it a week before we would travel. He came to understand that meant we were going and more importantly TOGETHER It got to the point he'd get so excited that I could only take it out the day before a trip. I always made sure he got plenty of exercise prior to our flight and that he was well hydrated the day before and had sips of water during travel. If he was anxious or panting I had a small towel I would wet down and gently rub him down with. I found the calmer I was the calmer he was. Just made travel part of the drill and the more we did it the easier it was for him. He'd usually sleep the entire trip (cross country) I'd carry food (kibble) and treats for him. I'd occasionally sneak my hand in the bag during the flight to scratch his ears and let him give me a lick. Dog logged a lot of miles in 11 years. My advice if your traveling alone is just be organized through TSA. I'd send everything through and his carrier last, carry him through. He was easy to put back in I'd set him in and put light pressure on his back and head and he'd lay down but I think for many this is the hardest part. Again…just act as if this is routine and give the dog lots of love and reassurance. Happy Trails!
AZME is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!