View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
GnuHouse
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlex View Post
Hi, All

I have been working on training Levi quite a bit over the past few weeks and I would love to teach him the "Lay Down" command next. However, all of the guides on how to teach lay down don't seem to work with Levi. Everything I have read says to get the dog to sit down and then drag the treat from the nose to the floor to get the pup to lay down, but Levi is too short to do that effectively! He just stands up from his sit and never even thinks about laying down! How did you guys teach your Yorkies to lay down? I could use some tips! Thanks.
I had some issues with Bentley when it came to his down command. He would get into a sit, then would scoot himself backwards when I moved the treat down. What the trainer taught me was to move the treat inwards towards his body as you're moving it down to the floor. Once I started to do that, Bentley would lie down. I don't have to do that anymore (although I still need to do it with treats as he doesn't consistently do it on command), but it worked for me
GnuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!