View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
The things that have been previously mentioned are exactly why people should be encouraged to spay/neuter at an early game. To me it's very troubling to read how unaltered dogs will behave when they are intact. This type of crating, rotating, separating is just not for an average pet owners and should only be done by experienced dog owners willing to take all of the aforementioned precautions. It seems to me that having intact animals whether they are males or females is not for the average pet owner. There are far too many precautions that need to be taken very seriously to ensure the safety of your home. I find it pretty frightening to think that I couldn't leave home without caging up my pets to ensure there were no fights to the death while I was out. I have boys and a girl that were all neutered and spayed early that cohabitant without issue.

But as for breeders, this should be taken very seriously. I think this thread should be linked back to the Spay and Neuter thread in the general forum. It would be very enlightening to the novice pet owner and will be sure to keep it in mind for the future when members on on the fence regarding if they should spay/neuter their pets. Thanks!
Spay and neuter should be done at an age appropriate time for each breed of dog. IMO

Most here who responded are breeders and have two sexes of full dogs in the house. This is not the average pet owner situation. Having said that I believe it is best for all dogs to learn crate training. It is such a boon to even the "pet owner".
Good breeders always take extreme care of their breeding animals, and if we are not "there" can't supervise a situation. I would much rather be safe then sorry.

As you well know Jodie we have a number of threads here about spayed females getting into fights. And neutered males.

Travel in a car safely in crates, have pets crated when workmen come in and out of your house, or visitors who don't like or are afaird of dogs, your dogs can be in their crates.

I believe for the average pet owner if you want a male and a female, one at least does need age appropriate s/n. Because the average pet owner will not do or know to do (as there are no educational tools or advice from their vet given automatically) how to keep two intact dogs together safely. Breeders for the most part do this all the time, manage their dogs, and their breeding program. And we know to do this through our mentors and breed clubs, not from the vets we see!

Mainly in my experience two male studs might challenge each other over a female in heat, but rarely out together in free play with no intact females around. But rarely is just that rarely! So you err on the side of caution, with two intact dogs. And then as your experience grows with the actual dogs in question, you allow more freedom as it is earned. That might be a year more or less down the road.

Again there are no black and white answers. It depends upon the dog(s) in question and the owners, as to what is the best solution overall.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!