Thread: new yorkie
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
yorkiefan_
I ♥ my Cookie Monster!
Donating Member

One more thing: toads can be toxic. I know you don't have the cane toads in South Carolina (Florida, Hawaii, and the Texas Gulf Coast and Rio Grande Valley do), but others can be very bad for them also. Thoroughly wash the mouth out with a hose and get to the vet in case your pup catches a venomous one. It would be worth it to do some research as to whether you have venomous toads, because they're slow and are super easy prey to a yorkie.

Of course heartworm protection is a must, and you'll want to continue with the puppy shots until your baby has had at least 3 rounds (though my vet, who I trust a lot, recommended getting the 4th round). I think they're usually started 8 or 9 weeks and then every 2.5-3 weeks or so.

Rabies shots are of course a must. Yorkies are born hunters (that's how the breed was created, to kill rats), and are extremely skilled. My previous yorkie Minnie used to catch birds and squirrels all the time. My girl Cookie has caught and killed two birds and a lizard the last few days!

Be careful with furniture and beds, especially when they're young, small, hyper, and don't have too much common sense. It's somewhat common for yorkies, especially smaller ones, to jump off beds and couches and break their legs when they're puppies.

I don't personally like collars since yorkies can have collapsed trachea; I strongly prefer a harness.

Last edited by yorkiefan_; 06-30-2014 at 09:20 AM.
yorkiefan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!