Thread: new yorkie
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
yorkiefan_
I ♥ my Cookie Monster!
Donating Member

You'll need to have some patience for sure. Yorkies can be pretty difficult to potty train because they can be very stubborn. Cookie had me pulling my hair out until she was about 6 months old and finally started getting the hang of potty time.

When they're young and small it is absolutely critical to watch them for hypoglycemia. If your pup isn't eating in the morning, give him some Nutrical to stimulate the appetite. Your pup should always have nice pink gums. If they start turning white it's an emergency situation. Some Karo Corn Syrup is worth having for then, and then rush your pup to the ER.

When young and small they have to pee and poop almost immediately after eating. Cook would go and squat directly after eating.

It's also good to keep them crated at night. That's how Cookie learned to whimper and cry to let us know she had to go out (my pup needed a regular nighttime potty trip each night until about 5 months old).

Expect ups and down in the potty training. Some times you're just going to have a really bad day with it. Others you'll swear your pup was already an adult.

With all that said, having a yorkie pup is just incredible fun. So much energy, and just such sweet creatures. It's so awesome to bring your pup into adulthood, and by then you get all of the fun without most of the frustration!

Last edited by yorkiefan_; 06-30-2014 at 09:10 AM.
yorkiefan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!