View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Having owned lots of different dogs in my life, I would say that a Yorkie probably wouldn't be the dog to get at this time in your family's life. They are so little that they ARE very susceptible to injury from small children and big puppies. Having just said that, I know there are lots of rambunctious families where Yorkies are doing just fine, thank you.

One thing that I know for sure is that it would be a tremendous amount of work for you to manage a little Yorkie baby with all your other babies. They take a lot of looking out for, and a lot of grooming (if you leave their hair long). My Higgins is always "in Pogo's face" and I have to watch that Pogo doesn't let him have it too hard when he gets tired of it. Pogo is our 13-year old Doodle (half dachshund/half poodle). He's only 17 pounds, but that's big enough to accidentally hurt Higgins. Pogo is very protective of Higgins and loves him, but he's getting old and Higgins just NEVER leaves the poor guy alone.

That last sentence describes Higgins pretty well "He NEVER leaves [anybody] alone for long! Yorkies demand lots of attention; and they have lots of energy. They are so darn cute, we never mind giving them lots of attention! But I'm retired now. I have the TIME to devote to a Yorkie. I can't imagine having one back when my three kids and other pets were underfoot........

Just my two cents, Sonia. I would love that little boxer puppy lots and teach the kids how to handle and take care of him. Then maybe when they are more grown up and the boxer is settled down......
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!