View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I agree that "time out" is a good option, but you certainly don't want to take him out of "time out" after 10 -15 minutes, if he is still crying. In the begining you may need to take him out when he is quiet for a few minutes or seconds (which ever applies). Then work your way up to him being quiet for a longer period of time. He has to understand, he gets out of prison when he is quiet.

However, another option is to cross your arms at your chest and turn around so you are not facing him. He will continue to cry and may even try to face you. It that happens just keep turning your body around so that at no time are you facing him and your arms are still across your chest. (in other words you are visually ignoring him) when he stops whining or crying it's ok to uncross your arms and to relax. But I would not necessarily say anything to him or make eye contact for a few seconds. If he starts up again (and he will) it's back to "ignor stance". You may have to keep this up for a while and a few days, but I promise you, it works. He may even start barking to get your attention, but don't give in! This is your 1st step to becoming the Alpha in the pack.

Once he realizes he does not get your attention when performing this behavior, he will find another behavior that will get your attention. You just have to make sure that you replace it with positive behaviors only!! Like if he is sitting down politely and quitely when he wants down or up or your attention.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!