View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Okay I have a 2.5 yr old male foster who is neutered and two male studs in my home. Three are large breed dogs one is a Yorkie.

I crate and rotate - well to back it up, I train all my dogs for their crates. I spent about one month introducing my large dominant male stud, to the large neutered male. Once he could pass his crate without growling at him, then we went on to the next step. And that was walking on lead, two ppl, two dogs together for walks.
They slept in the same room crated, they ate together - ie in their own crates.
They each had training and one on one time with me.

They have figured out the pack order, without fist fights per say. The neutered male, gives my big boy his space, averts his gaze when passing him etc. But I don't leave the home with both of them un-crated.

I am assuming you don't have a full female in residence at your home? The above was because I do, which always complicates a situation.

The essence is make a safe place for your Yorkie and if you adopt or foster this new boy one for him too.

I hope this helps

As long as I have a new male that has not bred yet, he is submissive to the other males....once he is bred, he will push his luck with the other studs....like Gail above, I crate and rotate my boys....some just wont accept the fact they are not the ONLY ALPHA dog, and these boys have to be kept away from the other boys. Most get along with each other, unless there is a female in heat, then all bets are off! When heat cycles start, even those females are separated....everyone just gets full of it and fights break out at the drop of a hat! I think the girls are every bit as bad as the males at fighting when they cycle....None of my intact dogs are allowed to run together, mixed up....boys are kept separated from females, and no one is ever left unsupervised.....It is an all day long job, rotating dogs out for play and fresh air and just to snuggle and visit with me......and one of the big boys has decided he and I need to stretch out tegether, alone, on the slip and slide and just enjoy the water running over and around us!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!